NORLA − Norwegian Literature Abroad – works to advance the export of Norwegian literature through active promotion and by offering a range of funding schemes for the translation of books from Norway. Financed by the Norwegian Ministry of Culture, the organisation disseminates information about books and authors from Norway internationally.
NORLA was founded in 1978 and since 2004 has contributed to the translation of more than 7,000 Norwegian books into no less than 70 languages.
Tel: +47 23 08 41 05
Mob: +47 41 23 26 26
Tel: +47 23 08 41 04
Mob: +47 90 75 90 94
Tef: +47 23 08 41 03
Mob: +47 95 23 10 08
Tel: +47 23 08 41 06
Mob: +47 41 67 77 47
Tel: +47 23 08 41 09
Mob: +47 99 26 08 60
(All portraits by Eivind Røhne).
What does NORLA do?
• Facilitate contact between Norwegian literary agents/publishers and foreign translators, publishers and universities.
• Offer a range of funding schemes aimed at promoting the translation of Norwegian books.
• Subsidise foreign publishers’ translations of publications from Norway. In order to be eligible for subsidies, titles must first have been published by a Norwegian publisher.
• Award production grants for picture books and illustrated non-fiction.
• Organise seminars for publishers, in Norway and abroad.
• Contribute to raise the level of competency among translators through seminars in Norway and abroad, and via schemes such as the translators hotel and mentor programmes.
• Subsidise sample translations (both translators and publishers may submit applications).
• Provide funding for book launch trips and author presentations abroad.
• Provide funding for authors and lecturers to visit institutions of higher learning that offer Norwegian language instruction abroad.
• Provide funding for foreign press, publishers and translators who travel to Norway.
• Participate in international book fairs.
• Provide personal advice and guidance to translators and others who visit the office.
NORLA also awards an annual prize to a translator who has contributed significantly to the translation of Norwegian literature into a foreign language.
NORLA’s translation subsidies are intended to encourage foreign publishers to release titles by Norwegian and Sami fiction and non-fiction authors.
Translation subsidies are only available to cover the cost of translating a work by a Norwegian author, and applications must be submitted by the foreign publisher prior to publication. Two expert committees consider all applications, and applicants are contacted as soon as their applications have been reviewed.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Read more about NORLA’s Translator’s Award.
Read more about NORLA’s board.
Read more about NORLA’s two expert committees.
NORLA is part of the Norwegian network Norwegian Arts Abroad and of the Nordic network NordLit. NORLA is also part of ENLIT, a network of European cultural organizations promoting literature and providing subsidies for translation. Margit Walsø has been leading the network since 2020.
Press photos of NORLA’s Director Margit Walsø and of NORLA’s staff can be downloaded here.